A passionate advocate for chamber music, Melissa Ngan is a founding member of Fifth House Ensemble. A dynamic educator and coach, Melissa currently teaches a music entrepreneurship course at DePaul University, and has served as professor of flute at Carthage College. As Fifth House Ensemble’s Executive Director, Melissa drives the organization’s entrepreneurship programs, having created training programs for New England Conservatory, the Colburn School, Indiana University, the Eastman School of Music, TEDx Michigan Ave, and the fresh inc festival on arts entrepreneurship and creative programming. Her writing has been featured on the Entrepreneur the Arts blog and Huffington Post.
Having held positions with the Wisconsin Chamber Orchestra, Civic Orchestra of Chicago and the Peninsula Music Festival, Melissa’s performance activities have spanned South America, Europe, Russia and Japan. Previous award credits include First Prize at the National Flute Association’s Orchestral Audition Competition. Melissa is a graduate of the Eastman School of Music and Northwestern University, with principal teachers including Bonita Boyd and Walfrid Kujala. Melissa is not only a well-known flutist and educator – she also makes a mean spread of Brazilian food and a mouth-watering chocolate pecan bourbon pie.
Click here to download Melissa’s headshot.
Work and Projects
- Executive Director, Fifth House Ensemble
- Independent Consultant
- Arts Entrepreneurship Faculty, DePaul University
- Project Lead, Harvest and 21st Century Musician Initiative (21CM) Launch, DePauw University
- Project Lead, Creative Partnership during ClM2 Launch, Cleveland Institute of Music
- Project Lead, The Prometheus Project, The Cleveland Orchestra (VIDEO)
- Creating an Arts Startup, 21CM, DePauw University
- Putting Your Audience Center Stage, 21CM, DePauw University
- Why Artists Become Activists, The Washington Post
- The Inside Story, Chamber Music America
- Melissa Snoza plays in Chicago schools, Northwest Herald
- Jumpstart Entrepreneur of the Month, Indiana University Jacobs School of Music