This Week’s FIGURE IT OUT!
INDIVIDUAL WORK: Do this part tonight! Write a short letter to your current self from your future self at age 30. This letter should contain the following:
- Your future self talks about a problem you currently have. What is the problem?
- Your future self gives you some advice. What is the advice?
- This letter does NOT need to have a story.
- Each student will hand in their own completed letter to the Fifth House musicians next week.
GROUP WORK: After you have completed the first assignment, SHARE your individual letters with the other members of your group during class time. Then answer the following questions:
- Do your stories share any common ideas, either the same problems, or the same advice? If so, write down what they are. Use these to guide the letter you write as a group.
- Based on the music your group has selected, invent your fictional classmate who will be the main character in your group’s letter.
Three interesting things about character:
- Your fictional character has a problem. What is it?
- Your fictional character’s future self has some advice. What is it?
- As a group, write the opening paragraph of the letter that sets up the story that your character is going to tell. (Remember our example: “Dear Miranda, Believe it or not, I am your future self….”). You DO NOT need to write the actual story yet!